Tuesday, April 11, 2023

When will my reflection show…who I am INSIDEE

   I think the title of this blog post is VERY fitting. It’s a quote from the movie Mulan when she is singing her song reflection! It’s fitting because she is a princess, and I am too :)) It also describes what I’ll be doing in this blog post! Reflecting! Lastly, it’s the perfect quote because of the last part… “who I am inside”

Who I am inside…

   This project has really been a process and has taught me a lot on not only media, but also about myself! Throughout this project, I think I have really figured myself out. Doing this project has made me realize how much a love media and engaging with the audience. At first I thought I wanted to major in environmental science. However, after coming into terms with myself and realizing that I don’t really like environmental science, I thought that I wanted to do media management. However, with the help of getting connections from my media teacher, I learned that advertising was actually the perfect major for me! This project has also made me realize how much I love theatre, and how big of a part it plays in my life. I love it so much, and I’m sad that making this doc will be one of the last times I will be doing something with my theater company :( I’m grateful for this project and the documentary project from the beginning of the year since it has allowed me to become even closer with my theater company! It’s a good way of saying good bye to them :))

When will my reflection show…

Okay now time for my reflection of my ACTUAL PROJECT! This is probably the longest time I’ve worked on a singular project, and I am so proud of how it turned out and how much effort I put into it! The last time I worked on such a long term passage was last year for AICE media AS level…but we don’t talk about that. I think this project has shown my growth by so much. Last year, my media project was pretty bad, and I was embarrassed with what I had made. This is because I had waited until the last minute to do it, and it didn’t come out how I wanted to. I have even grown from my documentary project from the beginning of the year! I learned a lot from my mistakes from my former projects, which is what helped me do so much better in this one! For instance, I actually made a good schedule for myself that I was able to follow almost exactly. I was able to get all my footage pretty early one which is why I wasn’t stressed at all in the process! It also gave me a lot of time to let all my creative juices flow! What I learned from my old doc is to actually organize footage before editing. This allowed me to actually chose b-roll to match the voiceover. It’s so satisfying when the videos match the sound almost exactly! Another thing I learned was actually how to upload the video, and make sure it didn’t upload blurry. This is what happened to my old project, and I was really upset since all my hard work was ruined since it didn’t look nice to look at anymore. Another thing I learned was to actually add music in the background, to make it more interesting to listen to. I tried my best to find music that matched! I had a problem with this in my last year project, since the music did not match at all. However I think I did a much better job at finding music this time around! 
   I am especially proud of my social media page and magazine, since they are both things that I have never done before. Even though I do have a lot of social media experience on instagram, this is the first time I have actually put a lot of effort into how my feed looks (except for being the social media manager for ceramics club of course!) The magazine is something that I had ABSOLUTELY NO experience in. I am very proud with how this turned out, since it actually looks like a magazine spread and it’s very visually appealing. I especially like how all three of my components tie together so cohesively. 
   If I had to do this project again, I would probably change the quality of my work by using an actual camera and editing software. These are both two things that I am not really experienced in. I really think that using a good camera would add much more to my projects since it would look much more cinematic. Also if I learn how to use a good editing software, other than iMovie, I think it would also have a more professional look. Especially with the audio of the voiceover of the interviews, since iMovie does not really smooth the audio that well. I would also include the side profile views of the interviews. The reason why I decided not to use them at all was because I only had it for three of my interviewees, so it wouldn’t have been cohesive. It was also a hassle to find out which parts I could include the side view for, since my sister ended up not filming that much. This meant that most of the parts of the interviews I decided to put in, wasn’t actually recorded. If I actually had all this side view footage, I would have definitely used it! I would also change was to record more of specific tech members. I especially did not have any footage of Santi, since he did not tech the show I was filming. I would’ve also liked to have more footage of the tech crew actually doing things, since most of the footage was unfortunately just them standing around. I did have a lot of action shots of Johne though! I would have also changed the questions I asked Johne and Andrea to be more general, so I could’ve included them more. I was sad not to put more of them since they gave such good answers, but it was hard to fit them into 5 minutes since they gave such specific answers in relation to themselves that was hard to fit into the overall documentary. 

I spent a lot of time on this documentary, and even though it could be changed a little be be better I am really proud of what I accomplished! Cheers to a good way of (almost) ending the best class I’ve ever taken! 
[the red shows how much time I’ve spent on this project from JUST this month; best time I’ve ever spent]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Component

    I am finally done with my project! All aspects of it! You can view them all with the links below ~ Docuseries excerpt  https://drive.goo...