Friday, February 18, 2022

Research, research, and MORE research

     So since I want to do a realistic film about the effects of ADHD on someone's life, I want the genre to be coming of age. Because not only do I want to represent the mental disorder as a whole, I also want to show how it specifically effects a person's life. And since I want the character to be a high school teenager, I want to show how people with ADHD experience normal high school things differently than everyone else. 

    In order to find things to represent that people with ADHD struggle with, especially as a teenager, I have to do a lot of research! I don't want to base everything off of only experiences I have, because people with ADHD all experience it in different ways. So in order to find out how people deal with their ADHD , I've researched a lot! 


    First of all, in order to gain more research I am going to try and keep a log of my focus levels in one day of my life. I am going to try and write down all the things my mind wanders to throughout the day, and then try to incorporate these things into my film opening. I think this will make my film even more realistic, because it will be based on things that have actually happened in my life. I will also note down how often it happens, in order to figure out how much my ADHD effects my life. 

    This is an article that specifically talks about different metaphors for describing what it feels like to have ADHD. I will not copy any of these ideas, but I think they give a good basis of some creative ideas that I can come with in order to figuratively represent the disorder. 

    This article specifically talks about what it is like to be a brown person with ADHD. One thing that really stood out to me in this article was this sentence: "in my family, admitting a diagnosis means you're admitting defeat- and that means missed opportunities." I think that this is such an important part of the article, because it shows how specially in Asian cultures, people with mental disabilities like ADHD are looked down upon, which is why they are usually diagnosed later on in life. This is exactly what happened with me, since I didn't get diagnosed until last year. When my parents first found out, they were shocked to find out that such a "bright mind" like me could struggle with ADHD. However, now they have become much more understanding and somewhat understand the struggle I go through every day with ADHD. This article made me realize that I really do want to do my opening specifically about the struggles of ADHD as an Asian. I think I want to show an Asian person that does not realize at first that they have ADHD, and the finally get diagnosed at the end of the film. However, that thinking is for the entire movie, and not just the film opening, so it might be hard to show all of this in just 2 minutes. 

    I just have so many ideas in my mind right now, and I feel like I need to narrow it down more, because I don't want to have too many things going on in my two minute opening. Right now these are all the ideas I have:

- Represent ADHD specifically in the POV of the main character with the ADHD

- Figuratively describe what it's like to be in the mind of a person with ADHD

- Show the struggle of trying to accepted by Asian parents, either before or after being diagnosed

- The invalidating feeling of parents, teacher, counselors, friends and more that don't think Asians struggle as much with ADHD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Component

    I am finally done with my project! All aspects of it! You can view them all with the links below ~ Docuseries excerpt  https://drive.goo...