Sunday, February 26, 2023

Show day!

The day everyone has been waiting for...

SHOW DAY!!

    It's a little different than normal though because I am not in the show! Today was the first day that I have actually been available to watch an Inside Out Show! I can't believe that I have never done it before since I have been with the company for 10 years! It's because it's the first time I have not teched a show since this one was a little bit too demanding to tech since it required coming in every day for two weeks for rehearsal. I was able to get some record some of it, but not much, which I might be using for the documentary. I wanted to try and get an audience perspective of the show, but some of the footage is no good because there are heads blocking some of the main scenes. Hopefully, I'll be able to use a little of it though! It was so impressive to see the entire thing from an audience perspective, instead of a backstage perspective. It really shows that people don't see all the work that goes on behind the set and up on the balcony! It was an insanely good production, and I would recommend everyone to check the show out since it is so entertaining and funny. Okay enough bragging about the theater company and all my talented friends in the show

[One of my insanely talented friends in the show!]


    It was really interesting to watch the show after knowing how much hard work goes into a show, especially at this scale. I realized, however, that I had never actually been to an entire tech rehearsal for the show though, so there were some elements in the play "going wrong" that I didn't even know about, which was a nice surprise for me. For instance, there was a part of the show where all of the set pieces fall down at the end, which must have been a real struggle for them to practice. This could show the safety that goes into teching a show because in order for no one to get hurt, the actors had to be in a very specific place in order to not get hit.


[The set after the entire set fell apart!]

    Also, the actors had to be very quick thinking in case something did actually go wrong. For instance, one of the characters was having a mental breakdown in the scene, but the actor got so into it that they actually rolled off the stage! However, with quick thinking, she was just able to go with it and continue if nothing wrong happened. This really showed me how much quick thinking goes into not only being in a show but also teching it. In case something does go wrong, the crew needs to be on their toes and find another way to fix the problem.

Anecdote!

    The last show that I personally teched was beauty and the beast for something little kids. There were a lot of things that went wrong technically in the show, but the tech crew was able to quickly fix them by thinking quick on their feet. For instance, in the middle of the scene, there was a costume mishap, and belles dress started completely falling down. I was the closest to the stage at the time, so I walked in dressed as a villager and fixed it as soon as she stopped singing. Andrea up in the light booth was able to dim the lights in this area as I quickly fixed the dress, as soon as she saw me walk on stage. I asked my brother about it later, and he said that he didn't even notice the mistake! It really goes to show how much effort the tech crew puts in, order to make the show seem like it's running smoothly
    seeing how the tech crew reacts so fast to mistakes made me realize that one important question I should ask the interviewees is to tell me stories of tech mistakes that they have experienced, and what they did in order to fix them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Component

    I am finally done with my project! All aspects of it! You can view them all with the links below ~ Docuseries excerpt  https://drive.goo...