Saturday, February 18, 2023

Time for something different

 Research!

    This is much different than my last two blog posts, which were about filming. Even though filming is an important part of the process, what's even more important is the research that goes behind it! Based on the research I conducted, people describe putting up production as "baking a cake." People usually just enjoy the end product of the cake, but they don't realize how much effort it takes to bake the cake, just like what it's like to put up a show. People in the audience don't realize how much time it takes to rehearse for the show. What's even more, they don't realize all the technical aspects that make up the show, which is what my documentary focuses on this time. 
    According to one of my articles, it says "With tasks like building sets, learning to design lighting and sound for a show, creating and sewing costumes, or serving as stage manager, students who are majoring in theater learn an array of behind-the-scenes jobs." These show the many aspects of putting up a show. 

"Building sets"

    So far, I need to record the building of the sets aspect, which I will hopefully be able to do once I go to Johnny's workshop to film him working. So far, I do have some shots of the toolboxes that he uses. I also have shots of him working on the set by fixing small elements of it. I also even have a time-lapse of them putting on the entire set! It looks very cool, and I will definitely include a little bit of it in my documentary

[The really nice set with really nice lighting!]

"Learning to design lighting and sound for a show"

    I have barely any footage of how the lighting and sound work. The next time I go and film next week, I will definitely focus on getting footage from the booth, which is where all of that takes place. There are so many aspects to the tech booth, and I only got to film one video last time. I will also ask Andrea, the person in charge of it, to show me the different parts of the booth so I can capture everything that goes into the lighting and sound. I will also try to get footage of the actors putting on the mics since that is an important part of the show too. I might also try to get footage of the cast doing a mic check; from both the cast's perspective and the tech crew's perspectives. I wish I could get close-ups of the lights, but they are unfortunately very high up on the ceiling. I will try to capture a ceiling shot though so that the overall lighting arrangement can be seen!
[super duper cool lighting controls!]

"creating and sewing costumes"

    As of now, I don't know where all the costumes for the shows. What I do know is that they are not custom-made, instead get they are from a big warehouse. I have never seen the collection of costumes, but hopefully, I can get in contact with whoever is in charge of costumes. This might be hard to do though, so I might just have to resort to filming the costumes that we already have for the show. Next time I go to film, I will try to capture moments where people are helping pin and alter the clothes to fit them right. 

"Serving as stage manager"

     This is something that I have a lot of footage of, such as when they have to bring set pieces off stage. However, something that I also need to capture is just moments between the stage crew that are wholesome. meaning, not only when they are working, but also when they are just engaging with each other. Something important that I want to show is not only how a show is put up, but also how it can bring people closer together!

[My favorite people (the tech crew!) are hard at work]

Credits

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Component

    I am finally done with my project! All aspects of it! You can view them all with the links below ~ Docuseries excerpt  https://drive.goo...